W11 Opera for Children & Young People
W11 Opera commissions an opera each year with a cast of 70-80 young people aged 9-18. At the core of W11 Opera are the values of excellence and inclusion. The most significant achievement of the opera over its 45 year history has been its ability to involve the widest possible range of participants in terms of age, background and experience while staging professional, highly acclaimed productions.
W11 Opera is:
- 45 years old. It was founded in 1971 in St. James’s Church, W11.
- An active commissioner of new works and has produced 36 new operas in 45 years, more than any other UK company.
- Serious about high production values and all operas have been performed in a professional theatre for the last 15 years
- Inclusive. Over 2000 children from more than 100 schools have participated to date and bursaries are available.
- A showcase for contemporary composers and directors.
If you are interested in being a part of our next production, please look our auditions page to find out how.
Please explore our website to find out more about W11 Opera, said to be “one of the best kept secrets in the opera world”.
Visit our online archive of productions on the menu below to learn more about W11 Opera’s unique achievements. Read synopses and reviews, see pictures of the productions, watch videos and listen to the music.